Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Who is Jesus?

Who is Jesus? A simple question with a million answers. Pastor Grieg asks us to figure out who exactly we believe Jesus to be. I am looking forward to hearing your answers, for now however, I thought I would share mine. What never stops surprising me, is how often my answer to this question changes. The more I learn about this Jesus, the more I can't put my finger on Him. His identity ebbs and flows. He is consistently bigger than the box I put him in. And however my relationship with Him grows or morphs, I know a few things for sure. I believe Jesus is the lover of my soul. I believe he is kindness, mercy and the raw expression of unconditional love. I believe He is humble yet made of the power that created the universe. I believe he suffered physical and emotional pain while on earth. I believe He chose, over and over again to love even when it hurt. I believe He was in the beginning, and will be in eternity. I believe he is the life that pulsates in all of creation. He is light. He is the truth of how things really are. He is a bridegroom fighting for his marriage to us. He is our savior, rescuing us day by day, moment by moment, from our sin. He is the encourager and life giver. He is our hope and our future. He is consistent and unpredictable at the same time!

I think CS Lewis said it best; "He is not a tame lion, but he is good." (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe)

I would argue that no matter who you think Jesus is, you can't ignore him. He changed the course of history, and his followers are in many ways shaping our future. I leave you with a quote from Theologian Fredrick Buechner.

"It is impossible to conceive how different things would have turned out if that birth had not happened whenever, wherever, however it did ... for millions of people who have lived since, the birth of Jesus made possible not just a new way of understanding life but a new way of living it. It is a truth that, for twenty centuries, there have been untold numbers of men and women who, in untold numbers of ways, have been so grasped by the child who was born, so caught up in the message he taught and the life he lived, that they have found themselves profoundly changed by their relationship with him." Listening to Your Life [63]


Suggested reading on this subject...
The Jesus I Never Knew- Phillip Yancey
The Boundary Breaking God- Danielle Shroyer

No comments:

Post a Comment